Bassetlaw Council has secured more than half a million pounds in funding for a new initiative to alleviate the risk of flooding in Walkeringham.
The scheme was approved earlier this month by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) with funding from the Environment Agency’s Flood Defence Grant in Aid.
It will address issues relating to the floods in the village in 2007, and when complete will significantly increase the level of flood protection to homes.
Supported by contributions from Bassetlaw Council, A1 Housing and Notts County Council the flood alleviation scheme brings the total of partnership funding contributions to £551,000.
John Bowler, facilities manager for Bassetlaw Council, said: “A lot of hard work has gone into reaching this stage and builds on the success of previous schemes. It is part of the on-going work by Bassetlaw District Council to mitigate flood risk across the district wherever possible.”
The majority of the works involve creating a by-pass channel and drain to the west of the village.
This will take flows from North Moor Road South across South Moor Road and re-connect further downstream where there is adequate capacity in the main watercourse.
This will be supplemented with other flood mitigation works to watercourses and culverts across the village.
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former Saxilby home is raided
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Villagers’ shock at terror suspect Saxilby link
- Gainsborough paedophile with animal porn placed on sex register
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Help For Heroes reaction to brutal killing of soldier in London
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former home on Hotchkin Avenue in Saxilby is raided
- Teens praised for ‘hard work and dedication’
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Police warning over online comments
- Inside YOUR Gainsborough Standard this week (Thursday 11th April)
- Gainsborough MP, close friend of Margaret Thatcher, pays tribute to former Prime Minister
- Running and walking both good for your heart
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Gainsborough
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 40 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 6 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North