CONTROVERSIAL figure Mervyn Barrett has pulled out of the race to be Lincolnshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner - only days after being confirmed as a candidate.
His withdrawal comes after everyone in his campaign team resigned following allegations from The Sunday Telegraph that Barret was ‘secretly backed’ by companies pushing for police privatisation.
Barrett denies the claims.
Prior to stepping down from the campaign at the PCC hustings at Lincoln Drill Hall on Tuesday 23rd October, Barrett claimed that he ‘was not for sale’.
“I have worked to cut crime and prevent re offending for my whole adult life,” he said. “I have always sought to uphold the highest standards of integrity and honesty.”
“The allegations contained within the Sunday Telegraph article regarding my campaign seek to question those values. Quotations from my opponents in the election also seek to undermine my experience and judgement. I am both disappointed and hurt by this.”
He continued: “I am not for sale, I never have been for sale and I never will be for sale. It is disingenuous in the extreme to suggest that I am in some way anybody’s puppet. The policies contained within my manifesto were developed and agreed by me alone.”
- Barrett is set to issue a further statement after stepping down today. Check back here for further details as they emerge
- For details of the rest of the candidates for Lincolnshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner see this week’s Standard (available Thursday 25th October)
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former Saxilby home is raided
- Gainsborough paedophile with animal porn placed on sex register
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Help For Heroes reaction to brutal killing of soldier in London
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Villagers’ shock at terror suspect Saxilby link
- Two arrested after mosque attacks
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Gainsborough
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 7 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North