A RETFORD man who used a whip in an assault at the Horton Horse trials has been ordered to do unpaid work.
Matthew Wright, 29, of Town Street, Lound, admitted assault by beating at the equestrian event on 27th May.
Catherine Picardo, prosecuting, told Worksop Magistrates Court that Oliver Smith was on the dance floor in the early hours of the morning when he saw Wright and another man looking at him.
“He was under the impression they were going to try and beat him up. He left to go outside and the two men followed him,” she said.
The court heard Mr Smith said to the men ‘if you are going to hit me just do it’. It was then that the second man hit him knocking him to the floor.
Mr Smith told police that the incident was all a ‘bit of a blur’ but he remembers Wright hitting him with a riding crop.
The court heard Mr Smith managed to run away. He hid from the two men, fearful they would attack him again.
David Grant, defending, said Wright was provoked by Mr Smith, who pushed him and bit him on the chest.
He said Wright grabbed him to stop him. When he began to walk away, Mr Smith called him a name and Wright retaliated.
District Judge Diane Baker sentenced Wright to a one year community order with 120 hours unpaid work.
He was also ordered to pay £300 compensation to Mr Smith and £85 court costs.
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former Saxilby home is raided
- Gainsborough paedophile with animal porn placed on sex register
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Villagers’ shock at terror suspect Saxilby link
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Help For Heroes reaction to brutal killing of soldier in London
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former home on Hotchkin Avenue in Saxilby is raided
- Teens praised for ‘hard work and dedication’
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Police warning over online comments
- Inside YOUR Gainsborough Standard this week (Thursday 11th April)
- Gainsborough MP, close friend of Margaret Thatcher, pays tribute to former Prime Minister
- Running and walking both good for your heart
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Gainsborough
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 7 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North west