Lincolnshire firefighters are urging people to ensure their chimneys are clean after attending two chimney fires in two hours last week.
Caused by blockages in the chimney flues, both could have been avoided by simple maintenance.
Debbie Robinson, deputy community safety manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “With the weather set to worsen as we move towards the end of January, please follow our simple steps to help you avoid a fire in your home.”
“Put simply, if your chimney flue is clean it will not catch fire because there is nothing in it to burn.”
Chimney fires most commonly result from infrequent cleaning, burning of unseasoned wood, improper appliance sizing, or overnight smouldering of wood in wood burners.
“To reduce the risk of a fire, make sure your chimney is swept regularly by a professional, qualified chimney sweep,” she said.
“If possible, make sure you have a working smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector. These can make the difference between life and death in an emergency.”
To book a free Home Fire Safety Check, including the fitting of smoke alarms, call 01522 580397.