Gainsborough Breathe Easy is part of the British Lung Foundation (BLF) Support Network.
Money raised by the Gainsborough group is used to buy equipment for the pulmonary rehab team at John Coupland Hospital, and to the BLF to fund research into lung diseases.
Mick said: “We have bought all sorts for the rehab unit, such as an exercise step, stop watches to time people walking, pens and clipboards to record patients’ progress.”
“The rehab exercises are important to keep the chest muscles supple.”
Mick suffers from COPD - chronic obstructive pulmonary disease - a result of working in the dusty environment of a flour mill for 18 years.
He uses a walker to get about and said members of Breathe Easy help each other out in practical ways, like giving lifts to hospital, as well as providing friendship.
Ruth said: “We have a holding hands scheme to help with things like driving to the shops, collecting prescriptions, and walking dogs.”
Breathe Easy meets on the second Monday of every month at Pillard House, Primrose Street, 2.30-4.30pm.
They have quizzes, beetle drives and an outing to The Deep, Hull, is planned for June.
“We always have a laugh, and that’s the best medicine,” said Collin.
For more information go to gainsboroughgaspers.co.uk.
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former Saxilby home is raided
- Gainsborough paedophile with animal porn placed on sex register
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Villagers’ shock at terror suspect Saxilby link
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Help For Heroes reaction to brutal killing of soldier in London
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former home on Hotchkin Avenue in Saxilby is raided
- Teens praised for ‘hard work and dedication’
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Police warning over online comments
- Police appeal after 200-year-old flagons stolen
- Inside YOUR Gainsborough Standard this week (Thursday 11th April)
- Gainsborough MP, close friend of Margaret Thatcher, pays tribute to former Prime Minister
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Gainsborough
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: South west