Fire service’s Hallowe’en candle warning

editorial image
0
Have your say

Firefighters are urging people not to given themselves and ‘unnecessary fright’ this Hallowe’en by taking extra care when it comes to extinguishing candles.

As the spookiest time of the year approaches, Lincolnshire Fire Service is warning people who will be putting candles into carved pumpkins and using decorative Hallowe’en lights to do so safely, to minimise the risk of fire and injury.

this includes ensuring all candles are extinguished at the end of the evening, and keeping them away from curtains

“Candles are one of the biggest causes of fires in the home, resulting in around 350 casualties across the UK each year,” said Steve Screaton, deputy community safety manager for the brigade.

“We know that they help create a spooky atmosphere, but people should always be careful when using them and never leave them unattended.

“It is safest to use a torch or battery-operated candle in your pumpkin, but if you do decide to use a real candle please use it sensibly.

“Make sure a responsible person lights the candle by using a long fireplace-style matches or a utility lighter, and make sure they are placed well out of the way of trick-or-treaters.

“We are not out to try to spoil the fun of Halloween, we just want people to take care when using candles to avoid any unnecessary scares,” added Steve.