Gainsborough: New building opens at QEHS

Queen Elizabeth High School official unvieling of new building and the refurbishment of College House, pictured is the new english block (w131028-6a)
Queen Elizabeth High School official unvieling of new building and the refurbishment of College House, pictured is the new english block (w131028-6a)
0
Have your say

Students at Queen Elizabeth’s High School are enjoying brand new state-of-the-art facilities thanks to the completion of a multi-million pound project.

The eight-month major capital build project has seen the school deliver a brand new sports hall and eight classroom teaching block as well as the complete refurbishment of the historic building known as College House.

The project, completed to time and budget, was made possible as a result of a £2 million grant from the Local Authority, and a £500,000 grant from central government.

The school believes the fully equipped sports hall, two-storey teaching block and refurbished College House building will provide much better quality learning spaces for QEHS students, who were lucky enough to begin their September term in the new, state-of-the-art facilities.

The school’s sixth form students will also transfer to College House this month.

“We are all very thankful to the Local Authority for their vision of future education in Gainsborough and for their belief in Queen Elizabeth’s High School,” said Headteacher David Allsop.

“The sports hall and classrooms are a fantastic resource for our students to further their learning.”

“I am particularly pleased that this investment will breathe new life into the beautiful, majestic building of College House, formerly the Gainsborough Girls’ School, so that it can once again become a magnificent seat of learning for the students of Gainsborough.”

Queen Elizabeth’s High School is a mixed grammar school with a long history in the town.

The school was originally established by Sir Robert Somerscale in 1589.

During its 400 year history the school moved from a small setting in All Saints Church, to Cox’s Hill, before finally settling on the Morton Terrace Technical College site, where the boys’ grammar merged with the girls’ school to form the current set-up.

The 140-year old College House building was the first on the QEHS site to be used for education back in 1920, and formed a key part of the school’s properties until recently.

But as the new school buildings at QEHS were utilised more and more, College House and gardens gradually became redundant.

The official opening of the new building and facilities at the school is expected to take place at some point in January next year.

For more information about the school visit the website at www.qehs.lincs.sch.uk