Maltby baby ‘stopped breathing’ after chicken pox

Guardian News
Guardian News

The parents of a 12-month-old baby who died suddenly following a bout of chicken pox, have given evidence at his inquest.

Lewis Peter Mullins, of Burns Road, Maltby, died on 2nd April 2011.

His mum Jodie Conlay told the inquest at Rotherham that her son had been a healthy youngster.

“He was a chunky monkey and liked his food. He was an all round happy child,” she said.

The inquest heard that in March 2011 Lewis caught chicken pox after his sister had suffered with it.

But when his temperature became high and he wouldn’t settle, Miss Conlay sought advice from her local NHS Walk-in Centre.

She sought medical advice from Rotherham Hospital on two further occasions, but each time Lewis was sent home.

The inquest heard on Saturday 2nd April while at home Lewis stopped breathing.

His grandmother and three paramedics tried to revive him, before he was taken to Rotherham Hospital where he died.

The inquest continues.