Christian art on show at Epworth’s Old Rectory

The Old Rectory in Epworth. E1820TS Picture: Tony Saxton

The Old Rectory in Epworth. E1820TS Picture: Tony Saxton

0
Have your say

Visitors to Epworth’s historic Old Rectory now have the added bonus of viewing a collection of some of the world’s best Christian art in a display that will last until the end of October.

For the accredited museum has been loaned several paintings from the Department of Methodist Studies at Oxford Brooks University.

“The Methodist art collection was first established more than 40 years ago and is probably they best in the country,” said Gill Crawley, development manager at The Old Rectory.

The quality of the art collection is such that there is a demand to display it around the world and recently the works were on display in Ballymena in Ireland.

“The Old Rectory Trustees are enormously pleased, privileged and proud to have these artworks on display here,” added Mrs Crawley.

Epworth’s Old rectory is famous throughout the world as the childhood home of John and Charles Wesley, the brothers who formed a movement that went on to become the worldwide Methodist Church.

It was rebuilt after a fire in 1709 and was home to the Reverend Samuel Wesley, his wife Susanna and their 19 children, with sons John and Charles becoming globally recognised after they founded and spread the Methodist word from Epworth to the world.

The Old Rectory is open from 10.30am until 3.30pm from Tuesdays to Saturdays.

Last admissions are 30 minutes before closing. Call (01427) 872268 for details.