Argos issues hoverboards recall over 'electrocution' fears

'Hoverboard' scooters have raised safety concerns over fires and now Argos has issued a warning due to electrocution risks (Image source: YouTube).
'Hoverboard' scooters have raised safety concerns over fires and now Argos has issued a warning due to electrocution risks (Image source: YouTube).

Amif fears that Christmas gifts may turn dangerous, Argos has issued a product recall and warns that customers should stop using their hoverboards immediately.

On top of previous concerns over explosion risks due to faulty charging, the high street retailer has now tested products and found a high risk of electrocution as well.

This hoverboard was extinguished by Firefighters in London (Credit: London Fire Brigade).

This hoverboard was extinguished by Firefighters in London (Credit: London Fire Brigade).

The Chartered Trading Standards Institute said the retailer had issued a recall notice for Nevaboards after safety tests.

Read more: WARNING: Dangerous hoverboards seized in Nottingham

The notice said: "As a responsible retailer, Argos takes customer safety extremely seriously.

"You may be aware there have recently been reports of safety concerns involving hoverboards.

"We have conducted additional testing on all components of our Nevaboard product, supplied by Debut Sports, and sold by Argos exclusively in the UK and Ireland.

"As a result of these tests, we have identified a safety concern and have therefore taken the decision to recall the Nevaboard, catalogue number 455/7669.

"The mains plug and transformer do not fully comply with the required technical standards and could pose a risk of electrocution.

"If you have a Nevaboard product, please stop using it immediately. Please return the product with all its component parts to your nearest Argos store for a full refund. No proof of purchase is required.

"We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience, but the safety of our customers is paramount. Our helpline numbers are UK: 0345 600 5388; ROI: 0044345 6402020."

The alert follows fears that cheap alternatives to the leading brands carried safety risks with explosions becoming relatively common, and were this year's must-have Christmas present.

Nottinghamshire County Council's Trading Standards Team helped to seize 19 potentially dangerous hoverboards from an importer earlier in the month.

Paul Gretton, Trading Standards officer at the council, said the gadgets, which are believed to be imported from China, are ‘simply not safe’.

He said: “The chargers will just keep charging which means they will overheat and eventually burst into flames and possibly explode”

The importer sold around 20 on Facebook for approximately £240 each but is now working with the Trading Standards team to contact those who have bought the hoverboards to return them.

The confiscated boards will be tested to find out if the chargers over heat, which is the main problem with hoverboards that are being seized in the UK.

Councillor Glynn Gilfoyle, community safety committee chairman added on the hoverboards seized due to overheating issues: “We have seized these hoverboards from an importer in the county as they cannot be shown to be safe and compliant with legislation.

“In terms of online sales of these hoverboards, we would urge shoppers to be very careful when making such purchases.

“Also bear in mind the advice on legal use, they could prove to be both dangerous and disappointing presents.”

As well as overheating during charging, internal internal electronics do not meet European or UK standards or come with adequate instructions.

Three house fires have been reported in Nottinghamshire over the last few weeks which are directly linked to the overheating of hoverboards.

The county council is urging people who are looking at buying these items before Christmas to be extra-cautious.