THIS week’s photo, brought in by Thelma Childs, is taken from the end of Lord Street and is looking down Market Street and was taken about 1900.
Barnes’ jewellers shop can be seen on the left and was situated right on the corner of Market Street/Church Street (soon afterwards it moved across to its present location on the corner of Market Place/Lord Street). Next to it is Aldous Butchers. On the right of the photo is Burrows’ chemists shop (where NatWest Bank is now situated). Note the lady sitting in the carriage outside the shop.
The busy scene is completed by a number of young men who were waiting to be hired by local businesses.