College features on postcard
THIS week’s photo is a postcard showing the impressive buildings of Worksop College.
There are two red penny stamps on it bearing the picture of King George VI, and what appears to be the date of 20th September 1940.
It is addressed to a Miss Hester Cox, of Normanton, near Derby, and was sent by someone called Joan, thanking her for the present of an air pillow.
The postcard, produced by Valentine’s, was brought in to the Guardian by reader Mrs M Eden, of Worksop.
It belonged to a relative but she didn’t have any further information about it.
Worksop College was originally called St Cuthbert’s College and work began on building it in 1890 on land donated by the Duke of Portland at the northern edge of Sherwood Forest.
It was opened five years later on 5th September 1895.
St Cuthbert’s chapel was opened in 1906 after Lord Mountgarret made funds available. The structure was based upon Westminster Abbey and the ceiling contained passages of Latin verse.
The college boasts many fine buildings and the first to be completed was the Great Hall.
The East Wing stands five floors high and was blessed in 1895 by the Bishop of Southwell.
These days Worksop College is a co-educational day and boarding school.
Why not share your memories?
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former Saxilby home is raided
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Villagers’ shock at terror suspect Saxilby link
- Gainsborough paedophile with animal porn placed on sex register
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Help For Heroes reaction to brutal killing of soldier in London
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former home on Hotchkin Avenue in Saxilby is raided
- Teens praised for ‘hard work and dedication’
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Police warning over online comments
- Inside YOUR Gainsborough Standard this week (Thursday 11th April)
- Gainsborough MP, close friend of Margaret Thatcher, pays tribute to former Prime Minister
- Running and walking both good for your heart
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Gainsborough
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 7 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North west